SmithLifeScience Name __________________ Period _____
Study Guide Chapter 4 Genetics: The Science of Heredity
4-1 Mendel's Work (pp.110-115)
page 110 Match the vocab words with its defintion
1. Heredity _____ a. The passing of physical characteristics from parents to offspring.
2. Traits _____ b. The scientific study of heredity.
3. Genetics _____ c. Physical characteristics
4-7. Gregor Mendel experimented with pea plants. Name 4
characteristics of the plants.
Mendel's Experiments (p.111-112)
8. The pistil of a flower produces female sex cells called _______________.
9. The stamen produces _______________ that contains the male sex cells called sperm.
10. When egg and sperm join the process is called ___________________.
11. Explain how Mendel crossed-pollinated pea plants.
12. What are purebred organisms?
13. Another name for the P generation is the _____________________________.
14. When Tall and Short P generation pea plants were crossed all of the offspring in the F1 generation were _________.
15. When the F1 generation offspring were crossed the F2 generation of pea plants had _____ Tall and _____ Short offspring.
Dominant and Recessive Alleles (p.113-115)
16. What is a gene? _____________________________________________________
17. What are alleles? ____________________________________________________
18. What is a dominant allele? _____________________________________________
19. What is a recessive allele? ____________________________________________
p.113 Genetics of Pea Plants.
Identify the dominant and recessive trait by answering true or false
20. _________ Round is dominant over Wrinkled
21. _________ Green is dominant over Yellow
22. _________ Gray is dominant over White
23. _________ Pinched is dominant over Smooth
24. _________ Yellow is dominant over Green
25. _________ End flower position is dominant over Side flower position
26. _________ Tall stem height is dominant over Short stem height
27. What is a hybrid? ___________________________________________________
28. Dominant alleles are represented by _______________ letters.
29. Recessive alleles are represented by _______________ letters.
30. Because of his work Mendel is often called the __________________________
Match the pea plant with its combination of alleles.
31. Purebred Tall_____ a. Two alleles for Tall Stems (TT)
32. Purebred Short _____ b. One allele for tall stems and one allele for short stems (Tt)
33. Hybrid Tall _____ c. Two alleles for short (tt)