__________________ Period _____
Reading Study Guide Chapter 1 Introduction to Science
1-4 Safety in the Science Laboratory (pp.23-26)
Safety During Investigations (p.23-25)
1. Why should you wait for your family or friends before you
jump into the water to
2. Good preparation helps you to stay ____________ when doing science activities.
3. What should you do if something is unclear to you about a
Identify these Science Safety Symbols.
4. __________ 5. ______________ 6. ____________
7. What does the mouse symbol mean when you see it in a laboratory? ______________
8-10. Look at pages 24-25. List 3 safety precautions the
students is taking.
11. When you have finished a lab _____________ your work area.
12. Never carry out a field investigation ________________.
13. Which of these is not a place to conduct a
a. classroom b. schoolyard
c. park d. forest
14-17. Complete the graphic organizer below to show four hazards you might encounter when doing an investigation in the field.
18. Use ______________ ______________ to avoid potentially dangerous situations.
In Case of an Accident (p.26)
19. What is the first thing to do after a lab accident? ________________________
20. What should you do if you spilled something on your skin
while doing a lab.
a. Immerse in cold water
b. Cover with a clean dressing
c. Wash with large amounts of water
d. Don't worry, it probably won't hurt you
21-25 Draw and label 5 Science Safety Symbols of
__________ __________ __________ __________ __________