Name ______________________ Period _______
Voyage of the Beagle Questions
1. When did the Beagle set sail from Devenport, England? __________________________
2. On January 6th, 1831 the Beagle reached Teneriffe. Name the
disease that they didn't want the
natives to catch. _____________________________
3. What has caused the soil of Porto Praya to be unfit for vegetation? _________________
4. Name three animals Darwin saw near Rio de Janeiro. ___________________________
5. July 24, 1833. The most southern colony in the world was at what latitude? __________
6. In Buenos Aires Darwin found a Scelidotherium, it was as large as a
rhinoceros, but it resembled
two other animals. The ______________________ and the _______________________.
7. How many different kinds of animals did Darwin discover on the beach in Buenos Aires? _____
8. January 9, 1834. Darwin found the the land mass for a distance of 1200
miles had been uplifted
________ to ________ feet. Darwin knew this land was underwater at one time because he
found ______________ on the land.
9. January 19, 1835. What geological event did Darwin see? __________________________
10. February 20, 1835. What geologic event did Darwin feel? ____________________
11. March 4th, 1835. This earthquake caused a _____________________.
12. Name the ocean current keeps the Galapagos Islands cool? ______________
13. How many finch species did Darwin find on the Galapagos Islands? ____________
14. Identify as male or female finch. Brown body _____________ Black body. _____________
15. If a turtle has a long tail is it a male or female? ______________________
16. In Tahiti, as the Beagle anchored , they were surrounded by natives in _________________.
17. Sydney, Australia. The cliff-formed shores around the harbor
were made of what kind of
18. The Cocos Islands are lagoon-islands made of what material? ______________________.
19. July 19, 1836 How were these islands formed? ___________________________________
20. When did Darwin return to England? _______________________________